Saturday, October 4, 2014

What about Expectations?

Upon reflection of life changes, I have come to realize that I have had (I still do, to some extent.) certain expectations about the different life changes and what they entail.
As a child, it just seemed like forever until I could be a "grown-up" and do big people things. Now... I wonder what was the hurry? Of course I remember, I wanted to be able to make my own choices and do what "I want", go here, do this, etc. But its really not that glamorous is it?
As a young christian engaged woman, I couldn't wait for my wedding and it seemed like our 8 month engagement was waaay tooooo loooong! "I can't wait to start forever!" Now that I'm married, it hits me, "A lifetime is a really long time!" Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and would totally still marry him if I had a do-over. But wow! We could be together for 70 years!!! What could've a few more months or even a couple of years hurt? Even so, I do remember why and can thus sympathize with young unmarried couples.
Expectations... We all have them somewhat. Right? Please tell me I'm not alone. I'm sure your's probably are at least a little different than mine, but we have them.
They can be embarrassing or hard to talk about, too. Because in retrospect, they may seem silly, dumb, or even completely unrealistic!
How does one let go of expectations? Please do tell me if you have insight!
I have managed to let go of my expectation that my husband will be home for dinner, or even always before bed time. I have let go, perhaps too easily, the need to always be on time, everywhere. It still bothers me, but its more important for me to have peace in our house.
Perhaps it simply deciding what is most important to us. A happy marriage, or plate covers on all your outlets and switches.
Well, this is really long and rambling. I'm not even sure if it makes much sense to me and I probably said too much, I'm sorry. :-/ (its something I struggle with.)
If you're reading this, wow! Thank you!!
Thank you for stopping by. I hope you are having a simply awesome weekend. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ru, for som reason I just now got a notification of the posts you've been writing recently. :( Oh boy, do I understand your sentiment! My life is summed up in your words! Without expectations though, what could we ever look forward to?! I've given up trying to figure out what will happen next and take it for the long haul just like a roller coaster ride! :) You could probably understand that better than anyone else I know, BFF! -Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't blogged in a really long time, so that is probably why you just started getting notifications. :-)
      Some expectations are OK and of course perfectly normal, we just can't let them control our attitudes towards others.

      Delete