Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thoughts on Demark

As we leave Denmark, I reflect on our adventures while there...

We made tons of memories, we burned many calories (ever notice how few Danes are over-weight?), got lost a few times, saw ancient castles, took tons of pictures, learned the pros and cons of driving in a mainly pedestrian/cyclist geared city...I could go on and on, but I will spare y'all.

The people...

For the most part are very friendly and overly understanding with dumb tourists. They are very fit and healthy with the exception of their heavy smoking habits which is highly unfortunate given how they go out of their way to be healthy in every other regard.
They are fairly laid back, open and accepting. They are known for their tolerance. In some ways that has been very beneficial to them. Other ways, not so much. (You would know what I mean if you took a walk in their parks at mid-day.)
The main thing I learned in school about them was how they helped the Jews during WWII. I love how they pulled together from all walks of life to help their neighbors. (But that, dear friends, is another long story I will save for later.)
 
I think the average native Dane woman is taller than the average US woman. Blond hair and blue eyes are as common as Mexicans in south TX.
In the states, we are so used to it being a melting pot, that it does feel a little strange to go somewhere, where the norm is what lots of American women idolize and wish was them. (Of course there are other nationalities, too.)

There were a surprisingly high number of Muslims in Copenhagen. They were everywhere. One thing I noticed that was sad-lots of them had these really conservative big black, waist-length, burkas on over skin-tight jeans. If the Muslim leaders see the west as what is teaching their young people stuff like that, I can see why they are sorely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly nothing to kill, or even be unfriendly over, but I can see their disappointment in western "Christians".

The food is...

Well...I don't know quite honestly. Its expensive-i do know that much. They also have McDonalds and Burger King. All of the locals go there because they are the cheapest places to eat.
I'm not sure, but I think that Scandinavia is one of the most expensive places to live. But regardless whether or not that is the case, Denmark definitely is. Everyone you talk to says it is. Especially Copenhagen. Anything just about that you can think of that you would never by in the States due to the cost is probably cheaper than most things in that category in Copenhagen. For example, a 20 oz. Coke costs about 50 Danish crowns in Copenhagen. That equals approximately $10-12.00. A bottle of water on the street costs 30 Danish crowns-approx. $6-7.00.

Traveling...

It's probably great if you can read all the signs and maps. *sigh*
Thankfully, a very high percentage of Danes speak English.
Their road systems are excellent, very similar to US roads. They are also similar in the fact that 1/3 of them are under construction. Therefore, detours are a way of life.
Denmark aims to be the first totally green country (I'm not quite sure how they can accomplish that with all those smokers.) and gives bicyclers many advantages. They can ride the trains with their bikes, all the stairways have bike ramps and if they have a green light you must yield to them-meaning if you're turning, you have to wait for them.

Don't say I didn't warn you...that was definitely random thoughts :)
More on Denmark to come later.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!!!! Wow! I am so glad that you pay attention to details or all I would hear is " It was beautiful" and then I would have learned Nothing new about Denmark!!!
    I am glad you are having fun, and have not only sad feelings over sin, and joy in much, but a bit of humor as well, in all you see!
    It is so sad when there are such mixed ideals! Smoking and health foods! Smoking and excercise! Tolerance and ? (trash, bums, afraid to ask what is in the park!). Well, hope that did not offend you either!
    I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete